Monday, October 22, 2007

Stroller envy

We had a beautiful weekend... the kind of weekend where it's not at all difficult to remember why we got married. On Sunday we took Matthew to the park for a walk. It was beautiful weather, warm but a nice breeze off the water. It was really just a perfect day, with one minor exception.

I'm coming to realize that my stroller is very, very uncool. I have an ordinary Graco stroller. It's beige and green, with the typical ugly plaid fabric. We bought it before Matthew was born, and I chose it myself, primarily because it was part of a travel system that seemed like it would be the height of convenience. It was one of several similarly priced, similarly styled strollers, and honestly I didn't really give it a whole lot of thought.

Now, everywhere I go, I'm seeing these Bugaboo strollers. Every other mom I see is pushing her kids around in this sleek-framed, brightly colored stroller, and at least it seems to me, they're looking down their noses at my hopelessly un-sleek plastic disaster of a stroller.

I looked on the Internet, and came to find that these Bugaboo strollers cost over $600! WTF??? Where are these moms getting that kind of money? I really can't imagine that all these mom's can afford that kind of expense with all the other expenses that go along with a new baby.

So, while we were enjoying a great day in the sun, strolling along and talking in a way we really haven't since Matthew was born, along comes this obviously Type-A mom, with her DOUBLE Bugaboo stroller, her new baby in a sling across her chest and her 2 year old riding in style. As she's pushing her DOUBLE Bugaboo stroller with a speedy powerwalk stride, she's chatting on her cell, probably about something way too expensive for me to even understand.

While I don't admire this woman, I admire the hell out of her DOUBLE Bugaboo stroller. I want a cool stroller too, even if it's WAY overpriced. I want it. I want to feel cool while pushing my baby around the parks and neighborhoods and mall corridors of my little world. I want to feel supremely cooler than the other hopelessly unhip Graco stroller-pushing wanabees. Yes, I am shallow enough to buy into this ridiculously expensive stroller hierarchy crap.

I've got a bad case of stroller envy.

Pretty lame, I know.

No comments: